Teaser #1 for "Paradise Taken #2"

(Try this one)

Teaser #1

A few days…that’s what Rob gave her.  A few days to choose between an uncertain life with him and a life with me and our baby, but minus her other children.  I wasn’t a total unfeeling bastard.  I knew my choices…our choices had ruined Rob’s life.  He was my friend and I’d betrayed him.  I couldn’t imagine being in his shoes.  

Kaye snuggled close to me as we laid on her couch.  She turned her body to lay her head in my lap and I ran my fingers through her hair, down her side and across her belly.   I smiled every time I felt my baby moved against my touch.  We had to talk about Rob, but I hated bringing it up, especially after she had gotten so upset with me just an hour before.  

“We can fight him, baby.  I’ll help any way I can.  I know you’re scared to death of what Rob might do, but we will get through this.”  I tried to reassure her, but…hell, I didn’t have a clue what was going to happen.

She didn’t turn to look at me or say anything for a few minutes and I knew to keep my big mouth shut until she was ready to talk.  

I felt her take a deep breath, then turn her head to look up at my face.  “Jake, you know Rob is not the most reasonable man, especially when it comes to something he feels is a competition.  He will stop at nothing to make sure I don’t get what I want.”  Kaye’s voice was soft and full of worry.

“I know, but, I’m not giving up.”  I cupped her cheek with my hand, took a deep breath and said, “I know you still love him.  I get it. I just don’t want him to bully you out of what you want.”  I stopped and looked deep into her eyes.  “I need to know…truthfully….that you want us enough to endure the fight of your life.”

“Jake….”  I saw the tears start streaming down her beautiful face and I felt sick.  I wasn’t sure if she was truly up for it and I couldn’t do it alone.   So, I sat silently until she was ready to tell me the truth.  

I honestly didn’t know what to do.  My thoughts drifted to Claire even as I sat holding the love of my life in my arms.  It was torture to sit and wonder what Kaye was thinking.  My future depended on what she wanted and if that wasn’t a life with me, the devastation would fucking consume me.

She turned her head back to the side and stared across the living room.  As time ticked by, all I could do was softly run my hand down the side of her body and wait.  I could feel her relaxing and her breath getting slower.  When I leaned over to look at her, she was asleep!  WTF?!?!  

My life was teetering on the edge of a huge fucking cliff and she was asleep!  I had the urge to rapidly poke my finger into her shoulder like a little kid and say, ‘Wake the fuck up, woman!  You have decisions to make!’


But, realization hit me and I knew her choice.

1 comment:

Brenda Kennedy said...

Omg.... I am so excited for this book.. I love the teaser, thank you so much. God, I love rob!!