Teaser Tuesday - Jason London

 I knew everything about my Lori Ann.  She was tall, about 5’9” had long dark hair, giant blue eyes and the longest legs I’d ever seen.  She’d been a swimmer in college so those damn legs were killer.  She was smart and sarcastic, which was just perfect for me.  She loved old movies and red wine.  Her favorite band was Bon Jovi, which I constantly gave her shit about, and she was a great dancer.  I knew lots more too…like where she was ticklish, what her favorite color was and where she’d had her first kiss.  I was pretty pathetic.  But she’d been my best friend for years and I had no doubt she knew just as much about me as I did about her.  

*****
I walked into my house after a long day at work.  Lori Ann had been on my mind for a few weeks.  I’d ignored the need to return her call while we all waited to make sure my brother Derek was ‘out of the woods’ and home.  And as his healing progressed, I started to feel desperate to call her back, but the rock in the pit of my stomach delayed me from doing it.  Her voice, that incredible voice, was full of concern and something else…something different, a sadness I’d never heard before.

Lori Ann and I had kept in close contact over the fifteen years since college, even taken some trips together and spent a few holidays with each of our families.  We were really close.  But I hadn’t heard a peep out of her for almost a year and I tried not to push since she was a married woman.  

“Hey, Jase.  How are you?  How is Derek?  You know I keep up with you guys, even from Italy.  Please tell me he’s okay.  Will you call me back?  I know it’s been a long time…and I’m sorry.  I should have called you.  Things are just a little…well, I just should have called.”  She paused. “But I really need to hear your voice…please, Jason.  Call me back.”

I’d listened to it at least ten times and every time the hair on the back of my neck stood up.  Not only because I missed her, but because something was wrong.  I just couldn’t figure it out.  So, tonight was the night to put my feelings and pride aside, pick up the damn phone and call her back.  

I dialed her international number.  Ringing.  Ringing.

“Ciao?”

I knew her sweet voice immediately.  “So, want to tell me what’s going on and why you’ve been avoiding me for the last year?”

"Jason!" She gasped and whispered my name.

No comments: